Stourport 2010

Stourport 2010
Winning vase 5x 'Sarah Louise'

Friday 23 May 2014

Sweet...potatoes.

So so busy with work that I haven't been able to post as regularly as I like. A (pushy) friend of mine always puts me back in line when I haven't posted so thanks to him (again) here is another fresh post...
This year i'm growing some sweet potatoes in the big tunnel. I refuse to pay the price that some companies are charging for rooted slips so I have grown them myself instead. First of all I purchased a bag of sweet spuds from Aldi and planted them into pots of John Innes and placed on the heated bench in the greenhouse. Within two or three weeks there were throwing a wealth of shoot which I detached and rooted in 3 1/2" pots. They are now planted through black membrane in one of the beds in the tunnel. I shall be regularly watering and feeding them as they are a hugry/thirsty crop.


 
This time of the year you realise your greenhouses and coldframes aren't big enough. Its always a constant juggling game here when there are trays and trays of things that need to be hardened off.
The big tunnel down the allotments is handy to have and acts as a huge coldframe and certainly helps ease the green congestion at home!
Ive been busy in the garden at home as im giving a talk/presentation for our gardening club in August all about our garden. So ive been doing work on the Japanese rockery, woodland stumpery and the new 'Monty's garden'.
Tommorrow if its not too wet im going down the plots so ill try and remember to take the camera and get some snaps to post on here. Things are growing well now. I think the allium leaf miner has got into a couple of rows of setton onions as they look terrible and are dropping like flies! Celery and celeriac is planted out and enjoying the rain. Leeks in the tunnel have got signs of the moth! The early spuds are just showing signs of flowering which, luckily, has coincided with this rain which will help swell the forming tubers- mother nature can be compliant sometimes!

No comments:

Post a Comment