Stourport 2010

Stourport 2010
Winning vase 5x 'Sarah Louise'

Friday 10 February 2012

That's Shallot...

It arrived this morning! A package addressed to Mr Adam Greathead. I knew what it was and i was strangely excited by its arrival- in it was a packet of Jim Thompsons french bean seed and 18 shallots- the strain that won at Malvern last year. This package that made me feel as though christmas had come early had been sent by a very kind couple (Denise and Ray Ingram). They had heard about my misfortune concerning my crop of hative di niort which had fell into mums hands and then onto the plate! Thank you soooooo much Ray and Den- i owe you! So today i potted them up into M3 + perlite and put them into the cool part of the greenhouse.
Went out this morning to fetch some essential supplies: peat and dolomite lime. These two things completed my list of sundries that were required for my onion mix. A bit of peat and good quality sterilized loam; dried blood; calcified seaweed; viresco; osmocote and others have all gone into the mix this afternoon. Now its all bagged up ready for when i need it. I shall use this mix to fill my 20ltr pots into which i shall plant my onions.

I'm trying to get all these jobs out of the way whilst the ground is frozen and theres little else to do. The next BIG job is sieving the peat for the spud bags. I need about 700ltrs of peat so alot of sieving!

No comments:

Post a Comment